Thursday 9 August 2018

Weaving in VR with Gravity Sketch


Gravity Sketch is a 3D modeling tool in VR. I am transported into a large, empty warehouse space where I have the room to create 3D structures. I lost all sense of time and awareness to my real surroundings.
This is a truly immersive tool that allows a more intuitive way of modeling in 3D, compared to Rhino. There was much more of a connection with the design process, as I had to use my whole body to create the structure - sweeping my arm from one corner of the room to the other, ducking under the lines i created and side-stepping others. Using the whole body to create the model in such an intangible space is very surreal. There is a direct involvement with the digital and it bridges the gap between the digital and the physical.
After a while though, I did start to feel quite disorientated and claustrophobic. On taking off the headset and coming back to the real world, I felt nauseous for a good few hours afterwards. I wonder if this motion sickness sensation was down to the constant changing of my surroundings in the virtual world? - Changing the scale of the structure, spinning them around, pushing them away.